ss_blog_claim=696323173dc208f15756929bde51485e

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween Has Come and Gone - A Recap and a Rescue Story

So, Halloween is officially over. How was your holiday? We had a nice Halloween this year. The one thing I regret is that I was too busy all month to pull out the boxes of Halloween decorations, but I did have some fresh pumpkins on the porch and had one "light-up" pumpkin for the window.

On Thursday night my sister, brother-in-law, and I took my 17-month-old nephew to a community Halloween party. He looked just adorable dressed as a little monkey. He had a good time playing games and just staring at all the other kids dressed in costumes.

Last night, Halloween, we went to visit friends who had a Hallowienerfest for dinner. They made hot dogs and served them with lots of toppings. We had a good time, but had to hightail it out of there to get home and pass out candy to our trick-or-treaters! I love seeing the kids in their costumes every year!

Later in the evening, our Hallowienerfest friends came over to our house to hang out and we drove across town to a block that is known for their Halloween displays. They really go all out with lit-up yards full of spooky scenes. On our way home we were more frightened by a dog running in the road. My husband had to slam on the brakes not to hit it and it continued running around our car and along the road once we stopped. At one point it was running straight head on at another car coming toward us. My husband flashed his lights and honked his horn, but the driver seemed oblivious. They came within inches of hitting the dog. My friend's husband and I got out of the car to try to corral the dog, a young black lab. I was able to get her by the collar, but there was no tag. We were near a neighborhood and I could hear other kenneled dogs, so thought she might have escaped from there. I tried walking and holding on to her collar, but it was too difficult and she was too energetic, so my friend's husband just scooped her up and carried her in his arms. We walked to the house with the kennel while my husband drove the car over, but no one was home there. But, on that block we could see someone walking around a few houses down. I told my husband to drive over and see if they were looking for a dog. They were!!! So we handed off the dog to them, they were very thankful, and we were happy the dog was safe. We had gotten so scared by seeing the dog almost hit by multiple cars (we're all big dog lovers too) that our hearts were still pounding until we got home. That was more Halloween scare than we needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ss_blog_claim=696323173dc208f15756929bde51485e